Breaking Dawn Book 2, Chapter 13 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Good Thing I've Got A Strong Stomach
- Carlisle and Rosalie bring Bella a cup of blood to drink. To everyone's surprise – including Bella's – the blood smells and tastes good to her.
- Although Jacob watches with disgust, he acknowledges that the blood manages to make her feel better. After two cups, Bella finds the strength to sit up. Color returns to her cheeks, and she craves food again.
- Edward invites Jacob to stay at the house and rest, but Jacob declines his offer.
- Alarmed by howls from Leah and Seth, he morphs into his wolf form and runs to meet them. They inform him that members of Sam's pack are approaching.
- Jared, in human form, accompanied by Quil, Paul, and Collin in wolf form, emerges from the forest. Jared tries to convince Jacob, Seth, and Leah to return to Sam's pack. He explains that the tribal elders see no immediate danger in the baby, yet.
- Jared also tries to manipulate Seth by telling him that his mother is broken-hearted about his decision, but Seth isn't buying it.
- Jared then tries to convince Leah to come back by suggesting that Sam misses her. Leah doesn't go for the bait either.
- Jacob reminds Jared that Leah's able to make her own choices on where she belongs and that both Seth and Leah are with him by their own free will.
- When Jared asks Jacob if he's planning on hanging out with the parasites forever, Jacob explains that he's not just protecting Bella, but is also there to protect "those who should be protected" (13.223), which includes the Cullens.
- Jacob also reveals that, now that he's an Alpha, he won't be able to come back to the pack, because two Alphas in one pack are just a recipe for disaster. He still considers the rest of the pack "family," but advises Jared that they keep to their land to avoid a fight. When Jared asks if "their land" means that Jacob now claims vampire land for his pack, he says he's homeless for now.
- Jacob also learns that his close friends, Quil and Embry, suffer from the separation and want to jump ship, although Jared doesn't want to admit it.
Next Page: Book 2, Chapter 14
Previous Page: Book 2, Chapter 12