Cite This Page
Breaking Dawn Book 2, Chapter 14 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
You Know Things Are Bad When You Feel Guilty For Being Rude To Vampires
- Back at the Cullen home, Jacob finds a stack of nice clothes left for him.
- Inside the Cullens' home, he finds Bella still in bed, but looking much better now. She's overjoyed to see him. Her display of affection pains Jacob, because it only makes it harder for him to wean himself off of her.
- Jacob tells Edward that the other pack has no immediate intentions to attack.
- While Rosalie seizes any opportunity to insult Jacob (which goes both ways), Edward takes Jacob aside to tell him that Esme and Carlisle are concerned about the hardships Jacob has to endure for their sake. Esme, in particular, has pressed Edward to open their home up to Jacob and his pack, and to offer them accommodation, food, and clothes. Jacob is taken aback by the generosity, but politely declines the offer.
- When they return to the house, they learn the baby's rapid growth and strength has caused one of Bella's ribs to break.
- While the other Cullens take Bella upstairs to get an X-ray, Jacob meets Alice downstairs. When he asks her why she has stayed away from Bella, she confides to him that the fetus gives her a headache because she can't "see" it, and Bella's attachment to it makes her picture blurry. That's why she seeks Jacob's presence – he at least makes her completely blind. When she points to the similarities between Jacob and the fetus, he gets mad at her.
- After an exhausted sleep, Jacob wakes up to find Bella recovered again. Seth is eating breakfast and has his arm around her, which makes Jacob jealous. He chides Seth for eating without inviting Leah, although they both know that Leah wouldn't touch vampire food.
- Jacob decides to go hunting with Leah. Before he leaves, Carlisle asks him if it's safe for his family to go hunting as well. Jacob tells him that the Cullens should all go hunt together, to be on the safe side, in case Sam launches a surprise attack.
- Carlisle explains to Jacob that he can't leave him behind with Bella, because he doesn't want Jacob fighting against his brothers. So Carlisle decides that his family will split up in groups.
- Esme offers Jacob a big dish of food. Her kindness touches him and he admits to himself that Esme reminds him of his mom:
This was the problem with hanging out with vampires – you got used to them. They started messing up the way saw the world. They started feeling like friends. (14.185)
- Esme also gives him a plate of food and clothes for Leah. At first, Jacob thinks about getting rid of it, but then he decides to try his luck with Leah for Esme's sake.