Breaking Dawn Book 3, Chapter 20 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Bella takes in her surroundings through her new, superior vampire eyes. For the first time she sees the complex beauty of things, even simple dust particles. All her senses are sharpened.
- When Edward touches her for the first time, she's shocked because his touch feels warm. She realizes they're the same temperature now.
- The Cullens form a protective stance around Bella, and it takes her a moment to understand that she's the danger. "I was a newborn vampire…Human emotions and longings would come back to me later in some form" (20.43).
- Still struggling with her new "self," her eyes come upon Edward. She's swept away by his true beauty. Bella goes to hug him, and he steps back, because her strength is hurting him.
- She realizes, though, that she still has her human longings. She tells Edward she loves him. Her voice shimmers like a bell. They kiss:
It as like he'd never kissed me – like this was our first kiss. And, in truth, he'd never kissed me this way before. (20.66).
- When Carlisle asks her how her transformation went using the morphine, she lies to him about the pain she felt.
- Carlisle encourages her to go hunting, since she must be starving with thirst. His words bring the dry ache in her throat to the forefront of her mind. Edward urges her to go hunting, but Bella wants to see Renesmee first. Edward explains that Renesmee is half-human and that Bella's instincts pose a danger for the baby. When she hears that Jacob is still here, she's surprised.
- Before they go hunting, Alice wants Bella to admire her new looks in a mirror. Bella's first reaction is fascination with the beautiful creature now looking back at her in the mirror, followed by the horrified question:
Who was she? At first glance, I couldn't find my face anywhere in the smooth, perfect planes of her features. And her eyes! Though I'd know to expect them, her eyes still sent a thrill of terror through me. (20.153).
- Jasper is amazed at the control Bella has over her emotions, but still doesn't trust her. He wants her to go hunting, because he's afraid she'll snap at any minute.
Next Page: Book 3, Chapter 21
Previous Page: Book 3, Chapter 19