Breaking Dawn Book 3, Chapter 27 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- As the days go by, Bella feels very happy with her new life:
The tapestry of family and friends that moved together around me was a beautiful, glowing thing, full of their bright, complimentary colors. (27.3)
- She's also close with the werewolves in Jacob's pack (Quil and Embry have joined his side). Sue Clearwater has taken it upon herself to smoothen Charlie's transition into the world of make-believe. Only Leah remains uncomfortable with the Cullens, despite her camaraderie with Jacob. She has become second in command of his pack.
- Bella spends her days with Renesmee and her nights with Edward. Bella still worries about Renesmee's continuing growth. She recalls how Renesmee learned how to speak using perfect grammar, and soon after began to walk. Edward and Carlisle have turned to research for answers, with little success. The only sure option to halt Renesmee's aging would be to turn her into a vampire, but Bella can't bear to hurt Jacob this way.
- Bella knows that she still needs to show the Volturi that Edward kept his promise and made her a vampire. She doesn't want them to come to Forks, and doesn't want Aro to find out about Renesmee through Edward's thoughts, so she decides that it's safest for her to go on a solo trip to meet up with them instead.
- Edward refuses to let her go alone, so Carlisle volunteers, which allows Edward to stay at home with Renesmee. The Cullens also plan a trip to Rio to research some old legends about children similar to Renesmee. Jacob wants to come as well, but Edward and Carlisle believe he should stay with his pack and with Renesmee.
- Bella, Jacob, and Renesmee go hunting in the woods. Although Renesmee can digest human food as well as animal blood, her favorite is human blood.
- Bella notices how perfectly attuned Jacob and Renesmee are to one another:
She bounded back to Jacob; he held his arms out at exactly the moment she leapt into them. They had to move perfectly synchronized. (27.64)
- During the hunt, Bella suddenly spots Irina, one of the sisters from the Denali vampire clan. Irina never forgave the Cullens for siding with the werewolves on killing her friend Laurent (who intended to kill Bella).
- Upon seeing Jacob and Renesmee, Irina growls and disappears into the forest. Bella fears that the close friendship between Renesmee and Jacob might fuel Irina's desire for revenge.
Next Page: Book 3, Chapter 28
Previous Page: Book 3, Chapter 26