Breaking Stalin's Nose
by Eugene Yelchin
When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Nikolai Gogol, "The Nose" (24.4-24.6).
- Joseph Stalin (a whopping forty-four times, starting at 1.1)
- Young Soviet Pioneers (tons of references from 1.5 on)
- USSR (1.4)
- Red Square (8.1, 15.4, 15.10)
- The Kremlin (8.1, 8.3, 9.1, 26.3, N.3)
- Kolyma (13.1)
- Red Army (15.4)
Pop Culture References
- May Day parade (15.4, 15.10, 24.1)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...