Breaking Stalin's Nose
by Eugene Yelchin
Breaking Stalin's Nose Chapter 9 Summary
- Sasha evidently escapes the Kremlin guards, because he's now at his Aunt Larisa's apartment building. Way to follow instructions, buddy.
- Strangely enough, without Sasha even ringing the doorbell (it would be nine times for Aunt Larisa), she comes barreling out of her apartment. She apparently already suspected that Sasha's dad has been arrested, and she knows he'll show up.
- She comes out into the hallway with her crying baby, whom Sasha tries to quiet down by telling the baby that soon they will all be living in Communism and everything will be just peachy.
- Larisa's husband is afraid Sasha will get them in trouble. He laughs in Sasha's face when Sasha says that Stalin will soon find out that a mistake was made.
- He further tells Sasha that his dad is an "enemy of the people" and that he (Sasha) will not be allowed to join the Pioneers.
- With that, Aunt Larisa's husband slams the door in Sasha's face.
- As Sasha makes his way down the stairs, Aunt Larisa comes back out and hugs him. She tells him that she's really sorry, but they can't take him in because they would get arrested, too.
- She gives him some money—just enough for him to get to school the next morning.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...