The Brothers Karamazov Book 10, Chapter 5 Summary
At Ilyusha's Bedside
- Ilyusha's room is crowded with kids, along with the rest of his family. Captain Snegiryov has accepted Katerina's charity, and she has even paid for a famous doctor to come in to diagnose Ilyusha that day. Alyosha is also present.
- When Kolya comes in, Ilyusha is thrilled. He's petting a mastiff puppy that his father brought him, but he's still in mourning over Zhuchka. Kolya tells Ilyusha that he's brought him an even better dog.
- But when the dog, Perezvon, finally enters, Ilyusha instantly recognizes it as the ever-suffering Zhuchka.
- It seems that over the past several weeks, Kolya has found Zhuchka and trained it all kinds of tricks.
- Thrilled by Ilyusha's reaction, Kolya brings out his toy cannon again but hands it over to Ilyusha's mother to play with at Ilyusha's request.
- Kolya entertains Ilyusha with the story of his recent brush with the law. Walking through the square, he had tricked a peasant into rolling over a goose with a cart. He was taken to court but got off with just a stern lecture.
- Another child, Kartashov, tries to show up Kolya on his knowledge of history – specifically the founders of Troy – but Kolya is able to silence the child with a few clever questions.
- The antics are drawn to a close, however, when the famous doctor makes his appearance in the room. Everybody else clears out.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...