The Brothers Karamazov
by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Brothers Karamazov Book 11, Chapter 3 Summary
A Little Demon
- When Alyosha arrives, Lise is also a nervous wreck. She tells him that she craves "disorder," that she wants to suffer. She also tells him that Kalganov has even proposed to her.
- Lise tells him that she has horrible dreams involving tiny devils infesting her closets. Alyosha admits that he has had the same dream. (Whoa.)
- She also dreams that a – prepare yourself for ugly anti-Semitism here – Jew is torturing a small child while she eats pineapple compote.
- Alyosha is surprised to learn that Lise actually invited Ivan and talked to him about her dream. Ivan had laughed at her and left.
- Lise passes Alyosha a note to give to Ivan. When he leaves, she slams the door on her own finger.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...