The Brothers Karamazov
The Brothers Karamazov Book 8, Chapter 2 Summary
- Having no money, Dmitri pawns his silver watch for six roubles and borrows three roubles from his landlords. Then off to Ilyinskoye he goes.
- At Ilyinskoye he meets up with the priest Lyagavy is staying with. The priest tells him that Lyagavy – who should be called Gorstkin, since he hates the name Lyagavy – is staying with a forester at Sukhoy Possyolok.
- Upon their arrival at the forester's, they discover that Lyagavy is passed out drunk in his room.
- Unable to wake him, Dmitri decides to wait outside the drunk's room until he wakes up. The priest heads back to Ilyinskoye.
- Dmitri must have fallen asleep, because all of a sudden he wakes up to find the room filled with fumes. The forester helps Dmitri air out the room, but Lyagavy sleeps peacefully on.
- Dmitri again falls asleep outside Lyagavy's room, and the next time he wakes it's 9 in the morning. He finds that Lyagavy has already started drinking heavily again. He tries to engage Lyagavy in conversation, but Lyagavy keeps accusing him of being out to cheat him.
- Realizing that he's been the victim of Samsonov's malicious trickery, Dmitri returns back home and straight to Grushenka's.