The Butter Battle Book
by Dr. Seuss
The Butter Battle Book Lines 125-151 Summary
Rinse and Repeat
- By now, the arms race is in full swing.
- Grandpa returns to Chief Yookeroo to discover that he's been promoted to general. What does that mean? Not sure, but it comes with a fancy hat.
- The Chief explains that "The Big War is coming. You're going to begin it!" (128)
- The Yook Back-Room Boys are one step ahead this time. There's no catching these boys with their trousers down.
- Instead of responding to each new threat posed by VanItch, they have invented something new even before Grandpa returns.
- This time, Grandpa gets a giant running machine. It's pretty goofy looking and nobody knows "quite exactly what it would do" (140).
- One thing it does do? "[S]prinkle Blue Goo" to contaminate the Zook's bread (141).
- Unlike the guns, this new weapon targets the food supply. Talk about fighting dirty.
- You know who else has a Blue-Gooer? You guessed it: VanItch. And his "Blue-Gooer is working just fine!" (149).
- It seems like no one is going to win this arms race. For every move the Yooks make, the Zooks match it.
- Frustrating, right? But maybe that's the point—yes, there's a point—Seuss is trying to make?