Caedmon's Hymn Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Does the miraculous backstory provided by Bede make Caedmon's Hymn more or less impressive? Why do you think so?
- What's the effect of cramming so much (formation of the universe) into so little (nine lines)?
- If the speaker spoke as an "I" instead of a "we," how would the hymn's tone change?
- Do "mind-plans" sound more important than "thoughts"? Why or why not?
- What if Caedmon had written fifty poems and they all had survived? Do you think this poem would still be studied?
- Is Bede telling it straight regarding the angel? Or is he pulling a massive one over on thirteen centuries of BritLit scholars?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search