The Call of the Wild
by Jack London
Buck Timeline and Summary
- Buck begins the story as a pet dog on a sunny ranch in California. In his small way, he "rules over the estate," which basically means getting to chase squirrels around all day.
- Manuel steals him.
- He gets beaten by the man wearing the red sweater.
- He gets sold to Perrault and François.
- Buck adapts to snow, other dogs, and starvation.
- Buck feels "the call."
- There’s an initial fight with Spitz, then some time passes, and finally the ultimate fight occurs in which he kills Spitz.
- Buck takes over as leader.
- Buck almost dies at the abusive and ignorant hands of Hal, Charles, and Mercedes.
- The lucky dog is saved by Thornton and develops a love for him.
- Buck does some impressive things, like pulling obscene amounts of weight
- Buck becomes increasingly wild and even kills a bull.
- Buck flips out when Thornton dies, and kills several Yeehats as revenge.
- Buck becomes a thing of the wild, leading a pack of wolves.