The Call of the Wild
The Call of the Wild Chapter 3 Summary
- Spitz starts picking fights with Buck, doing annoying things like stealing his warm sleeping spots. Stealing his sleeping spot is the last straw for Buck, and the two finally go at it.
- The fight is interrupted by a group of raving mad, starving huskies (a kind of sled dog). Some people might call this a deus ex machina.
- Everyone gets violently injured.
- Later on the trail, the dogs are on thin ice, literally, and they fall through a few times. Buck is like an anchor, keeping them from their tragic deaths in the icy water.
- The men, although they work the dogs hard, respect the animals as well, taking care of them at night by rubbing their feet.
- Dolly goes nuts and is frothing at the mouth and attacking Buck. We know what you’re thinking – who is Dolly?
- OK, fine, Dolly is one of the dogs. When she goes nuts, François kills her.
- Spitz, seeing that Buck is tired from having run away from the crazed dog, believes this is a fair and opportune moment to fight. Spitz vs. Buck, Round 2:
- Spitz sort of has the upper hand, but François puts an end to the fight by whipping Spitz.
- The two men debate over who will win the next fight. Our money is on Buck.
- Buck joins in on some nightly howling sessions with the wolves.
- Mutiny in the ranks – against Spitz, who is the current leader.
- Buck starts chasing a rabbit in a crazy, bloodthirsty sort of way.
- He and Spitz fight over the rabbit – Round 3: it’s a close one, but Buck wins.