The Call of the Wild
by Jack London
Dave (a dog) Timeline and Summary
- Dave is another dog that François and Perrault take to Alaska.
- He becomes an asset to the team, pulling behind Buck, closest to the sled.
- He becomes a teacher to Buck in the traces.
- Something goes wrong with Dave, but it is not anything physical the men can find.
- Dave gets sicker and sicker, but refuses to leave his spot in the traces.
- He insists on dying while pulling the sled, too proud to let any other dog do his share.
- Dave dies by a bullet, in order to end his suffering.