The Call of the Wild
by Jack London
Hal Timeline and Summary
- A young man of twenty or so, Hal and his brother-in-law, Charles, acquire the team of dogs.
- Despite getting much advice against it, Hal insists on trying to get the dogs to pull the enormous load.
- Hal uses his big revolver to shoot Dub, a dog that becomes useless because of an untreated injury to his shoulder.
- Hal is overly violent with the dogs, beating them in the belief that they are lazy.
- He sells his revolver for inedible food for the dogs.
- Hal dies with Charles, Mercedes, and the remaining team of dogs when the bottom drops out of the trail.