Theme of Transformation in Callisto
It's no secret that transformation is at the heart of this myth. First, Zeus transforms into Artemis to seduce the nymph. Then, he transforms Callisto from a not-pregnant nymph into a pregnant one (using the traditional process). As a punishment, Artemis transforms her loyal follower into a she-bear. And to top it all off, Zeus then transforms Callisto and their son, Arcas, into the constellations Ursa Major and Minor. Dude, how many transformations can one myth take?
Questions About Transformation
- What effect do Callisto's transformations have on her life?
- List all the transformations that occur in the myth. How are they similar? How are they different?
- What sort of emotional transformations do you think Callisto goes through?
- Do you think Callisto's transformation into a constellation is an honor or a curse?
- What is it about this particular myth that inspired so many transformations?