Candide Chapter 15 Summary
- The Baron tells his life story to Candide:
- After the Bulgar soldiers attack, he is severely wounded and taken away to be buried.
- A Jesuit priest sprinkles salt water over the supposedly dead Baron as a blessing, but sees the Baron’s eyes flicker.
- Fortunately, the Jesuit cares for the Baron and restores him to health.
- The Baron trains as a colonel and as a priest and travels to Latin America.
- The Baron finishes telling his life story.
- Back in the present, the Baron asks Candide where his sister is and the men decide to rescue her together.
- Candide explains that he intends to marry Cunégonde.
- In a fit of rage, the Baron attacks Candide for his insolence and presumption in thinking that he is worthy of her in light of his ancestry.
- Candide thinks fast and kills the Baron by stabbing him.
- Then Candide thinks things through a bit.
- After several deep and contemplative minutes, Candide realizes what he’s done.
- He feels remorseful. Also terrified.
- Cacambo quickly dresses Candide in the Baron’s clothes and the two escape on horseback in disguise.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...