Candide Chapter 27 Summary
- The ship captain responsible for one of the former kings, Sultan Achmet, agrees to take Candide and Martin on board to Constantinople.
- Cacambo tells Candide that Cunégonde works alongside the Old Woman as a servant for a Turkish prince. Also, Cunégonde is now ugly.
- Cacambo reveals that he is a slave of the dethroned Sultan Achmet.
- Candide learns that most of the money he gave to Cacambo was stolen by pirates.
- When they dock, Candide buys Cacambo’s freedom and sets out in pursuit of Cunégonde.
- Candide takes a close look at two of the galley slaves and identifies one as Pangloss and the other as Cunégonde’s Jesuit brother (the Baron), Candide thought he stabbed to death.
- Candide buys the two men their freedom.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search