Candide Chapter 6 Summary
- Lisbon authorities decide that, as a preventative measure against further earthquakes, they will stage a public execution. It’s called an "Auto-da-fé" and it means "act of faith."
- One of the authorities chooses to execute a man who married his godmother (because he married his godmother), two Jewish men (because they are Jewish), and Pangloss (because he talks too much).
- The authorities flog Candide for having willingly listened to Pangloss’ teachings.
- Candide questions whether this can really be the best of all possible worlds.
- Candide at this point is bloody and disgusting. This is about the time when an old woman approaches and tells him to follow her.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search