Candide Chapter 8 Summary
- Cunégonde tells her story to Candide:
- Bulgar soldiers attack and kill her family and rape her. While Cunégonde fights off her attacker, a captain comes in, and enraged at the disrespect of the officer, kills him. He then takes Cunégonde as a prisoner of war.
- The captain keeps Cunégonde as his servant for three months and then sells her to a Jewish businessman. The businessman shares her services (yes, those services) with the same Inquisitor who ordered the execution of Pangloss and flogging of Candide.
- Cunégonde wards off the sexual advances of both men.
- Cunégonde attends the post-earthquake execution, and she recognizes Candide.
- Cunégonde’s story ends.
- Back in the present, Candide and Cunégonde eat dinner together and hang out until one of her owners, the businessman Don Issachar, comes to get her.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...