Candide Chapter 8 Summary
- Cunégonde tells her story to Candide:
- Bulgar soldiers attack and kill her family and rape her. While Cunégonde fights off her attacker, a captain comes in, and enraged at the disrespect of the officer, kills him. He then takes Cunégonde as a prisoner of war.
- The captain keeps Cunégonde as his servant for three months and then sells her to a Jewish businessman. The businessman shares her services (yes, those services) with the same Inquisitor who ordered the execution of Pangloss and flogging of Candide.
- Cunégonde wards off the sexual advances of both men.
- Cunégonde attends the post-earthquake execution, and she recognizes Candide.
- Cunégonde’s story ends.
- Back in the present, Candide and Cunégonde eat dinner together and hang out until one of her owners, the businessman Don Issachar, comes to get her.