Cite This Page
Candide Chapter 9 Summary Page 1
- Issachar sees Candide with Cunégonde and attacks him with his sword. Candide, conveniently armed, attacks and kills Issachar.
- Candide and Cunégonde consult the Old Woman about what to do now that they have a dead body on their hands.
- In the middle of their deliberation, the Inquisitor (the other man Cunégonde is trying to avoid sex with) comes into the room to visit with his sex slave.
- Candide thinks fast and kills the Inquisitor before he has time to recover from his surprise. That’s two men dead.
- Cunégonde is horrified.
- The Old Woman suggests a quick escape by horseback. She’s a little nervous about her own ability to ride, since she apparently has only one buttock.
- They escape on horseback and arrive at an inn in a small town called Avacena.