The Baron Timeline and Summary
- Candide learns that the Baron was killed along with his parents and sister when Bulgar soldiers attacked their home.
- Much to his surprise, Candide discovers that the Baron is the chief Colonel at the Jesuit camp outside of Buenos Aires. He learns that the Baron survived his injuries and was revived by the Jesuit priest who was about to bury him.
- The Baron studied and became a Jesuit priest and military colonel. He was sent to Paraguay.
- Candide informs the Baron that Cunégonde is alive and well and that they plan to marry.
- The Baron responds with outrage. Candide, not sure what to do, stabs him. Candide is certain he’s killed the Baron and immediately leaves.
- Years later, on the boat from Venice to Turkey, Candide finds the Baron working in the galley.
- The Baron explains that he changed posts from Buenos Aires to Constantinople. One day, in need of a bath, he bathed in the vicinity of a Muslim man, not realizing that it was illegal for a Christian and Muslim man to bathe together. The Baron was convicted for his actions and sentenced to work in the galley.
- Candide purchases the Baron’s freedom and accompanies Candide to retrieve Cunégonde.
- The Baron is still appalled at the idea of his sister marrying Candide.
- Candide sells him back to the galley in response.
Next Page: The Old Woman Timeline
Previous Page: Cacambo