The Scholar Timeline and Summary
- The scholar expounds on great literature.
- He then berates literature that does not live up to these standards.
- He is introduced by the Marchioness as being a brilliant scholar who has written some unsuccessful works.
- Candide declares the scholar to be a second Pangloss.
- The scholar responds to Candide’s philosophical questions by saying he knows nothing of such matters. He explains that he believes the world is confused and torn-up.
Next Page: James the Anabaptist Timeline
Previous Page: The Old Woman