by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row Chapter 13 Summary
- Back to the story of Mack and the boys' camping trip.
- The next morning, Eddie comes back with an entire stolen carburetor. They put it in the car and they're on their way.
- On the way to the Carmel River they hit a rooster, find a bag of carrots, and steal a bag of onions. Dinner!
- The boys find a nice spot, make a campfire and settle in to rest for a few hours, since you can only catch frogs at night.
- Over a nice chicken dinner, Mack and the boys talk about how you can't trust a married man.
- Mack starts wondering whether they're really throwing this party for Doc or themselves.
- Suddenly, an angry man with a dog tells them to get off his property.
- Mack manages to charm him, though, and everyone ends up going up to the man's house, where he just happens to have a pond full of frogs.
- Mack and the boys call the man "the captain."
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...