by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row Chapter 22 Summary
- Meet Henri. He's not French, and he's not actually named Henri—but he is an artist.
- He's also a boat-builder.
- He's been building a boat for years and can't seem to finish it. It's small, but has everything you need.
- He's had lots of girlfriends and a few wives, but eventually they leave because the place is too small and, uh, there's no toilet.
- After his latest squeeze walks out, Henri has a really disturbing hallucination of a man cutting a baby's throat.
- Completely freaked, he goes to talk to Doc about it. Doc doesn't want to hear word one about it, but a girl at his place says she'll go over and wait for the ghost with him.
- It never comes back, but she becomes his newest honey.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...