by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row Chapter 24 Summary
- Here we take another little break from the plot:
- Mary Talbot loves to give parties, but she and her husband Tom are pretty short in the dough department.
- So Mary gives parties on the cheap, sometimes just for the stray cats that live in the yard.
- One day Tom is feeling pretty down: he's a writer, but he can't sell any of his work.
- Mary goes out to have a tea party with the stray cats and finds one of them doing something really gross with a mouse.
- Mary gets super upset and Tom comforts her. Comforting her makes Tom feel better, and soon Mrs. Tom is throwing a pregnancy party.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...