by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row Chapter 3 Summary
- Next door to Lee Chong's is Dora Flood's "stern and stately whorehouse" (3.1). Fun neighborhood!
- In addition to the girls and the cook, Dora employs a "watchman" named Alfred (3.2). (The previous watchman, William, came to a bad end.)
- William always wanted to hang out with Mack and the boys, but they didn't like him.
- He's so bummed about this that he goes around telling everyone he's going to kill himself.
- No one believes him, so William decides to teach them all a lesson by sticking the cook's icepick into his heart.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...