by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row Chapter 31 Summary
- We interrupt the plot to bring you this important update:
- A gopher used to live in the vacant lot.
- (Yes. We are really talking about gophers now.)
- It turns out that the lot is a really fantastic place for a bachelor gopher.
- There are no other male gophers around to compete with, there aren't any gardeners trying to kick him out, and the soil is just right.
- The problem is that there also aren't any female gophers. That's a show-stopper. The gopher is forced to move out.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...