by John Steinbeck
Doc Timeline and Summary
- Doc and Hazel collect starfish.
- He gives Mack the okay to trap a bunch of frogs for him.
- On a trip to La Jolla, Doc finally tries a beer milkshake and has a really intense experience finding the body of a beautiful young woman under the water.
- He returns to find his lab trashed.
- After punching Mack in the face, Doc returns to a normal life.
- On the Fourth of July, he makes (and wins) a bet with Richard Frost that Mack and the boys won't turn around to watch the parade go by.
- Gradually, he discovers that Cannery Row is planning him a surprise party.
- He tries to make things right with the police when Frankie is arrested for burglary, but there's nothing he can do.
- The night of the party, Doc goes about his business as usual, except he locks up his most valuable and dangerous stuff.
- He welcomes the party guests and serves them steak and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- Everyone, Doc included, participates in a big fight.
- The day after the party, Doc cleans up and recites wistful poetry to himself.