The Cat in the Hat Lines 226-260 Summary
The Mother Walks Really, Really Slowly: Part 1
- At that very moment, the fish (still in the pot and caught on a kite string) spies the mother strolling ever so casually toward the house.
- All we get to see of Mother here is the hem of her red dress/coat, a bit of leg, and black heels. We get the idea she's a snazzy dresser.
- How to describe the fish's attitude? We'd say panic. He literally "[shakes] with fear" (222).
- He says, "Oh what will she do to us?/What will she say?/ Oh she will not like it/ To find us this way!" (230-233)
- Completely unafraid of the threat of the mother, the Things keep doing their thing.
- Soon enough, the fish falls or jumps out of the pot onto a table and begins conspiring with Sally and her brother.
- They need to step up and get rid of the Things before Mother walks in.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...