The Cat in the Hat
by Dr. Seuss
The Cat in the Hat Lines 46-65 Summary
One Bossy Fish, Coming Right Up
- Throw the cat out—now! That's the fish's advice. He knows that the kids' mother wouldn't want a weird, rhyming man-cat in the house while she's out.
- (Or maybe he's heard those rumors about what cats like to do to fish?)
- Unfazed, the cat launches his defense. The fun he wants to have isn't the bad kind; it's the good kind.
- For starters, they can play "UP-UP-UP with a fish!" (61)
- The illustration shows the cat lifting the fish, bowl and all, in the air with his umbrella. The fishbowl is then balanced on the umbrella's handle. Neat trick.
- Poor fish doesn't like this one bit and demands to be resituated properly. Falling is not what it signed up for.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...