Catch-22 Chapter 37 Summary
- As Peckem moves into Dreedle's office, he learns that Colonel Scheisskopf has been promoted to general. He is Peckem's new commanding officer.
- Peckem demands that Colonel Cargill, his assistant, get Wintergreen on the phone to straighten the matter out. He doesn't want an idiot like Scheisskopf commanding him.
- In the meantime, news comes that Scheisskopf is on the phone and wants to talk to Peckem immediately. Peckem ignores him.
- Wintergreen has been trying to reach Peckem all morning. It turns out that Schiesskopf was promoted by Peckem's order. His memoranda ordered that the colonel at Special Services (who was formally Peckem) be promoted to general and then put in charge of all combat operations. With Peckem's promotion, Schiesskopf was left in charge of Special Services and got the memorandum intended for Peckem.
- Peckem has no choice but to obey Schiesskopf's orders.
- General Schiesskopf wants everybody to march.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...