Cite This Page
Colonel Cathcart Timeline and Summary
- Cathcart raises the number of missions to fifty.
- Colonel Cathcart volunteers his troops for the Ferrera mission.
- Colonel Cathcart raises the number of missions to fifty-five.
- Cathcart ruins Major Major's life by telling him he has been promoted in front of his peers.
- Cathcart gives Yossarian a medal for the Ferrera mission.
- We learn that Cathcart has ambitions to become a general.
- He meets with the chaplain to plan prayer services before missions in the hopes that it will get him into the newspaper. However, he loses confidence and the prayers never start.
- Cathcart dismisses the chaplain's plea to talk about the rising number of missions.
- He considers Yossarian a threat and makes a list of all the black eyes and feathers in his cap that have been specifically caused by Yossarian.
- He remembers the time when Yossarian showed up naked in formation and embarrassed him in front of Dreedle.
- Cathcart tells Korn that he makes Dreedle sick. Cathcart is happy.
- During Milo's surprise attack, Cathcart berates him for turning against his own country. But Milo is un-phased.
- Cathcart both orders the chaplain to come to the officers' club every night, then kicks him out after Dreedle disapproves it.
- Cathcart likes the Whitcomb's idea of sending out form letters of condolence. He hopes to get into the newspaper with it. He also wants to run another Avignon mission.
- Cathcart promotes Whitcomb to a Sergeant.
- Cathcart raises the number of missions to sixty.
- Cathcart, upset by McWatt's suicide, raises the number of missions to sixty-five.
- When he learns of Doc Daneeka fake death, he raises the missions to seventy.
- Cathcart forbids Milo from flying any more combat missions because they need him to run the syndicate.
- He raises the number of missions to eighty.
- Colonel Cathcart tells Yossarian they will send him home and cuts a deal with him. If he refuses, he promises to court-martial him. Yossarian accepts.
- Cathcart and Korn save Yossarian from "Nately's whore." They spin it as Yossarian saving them from a Nazi assassin.