The Catcher in the Rye
Cite This Page
Jane Gallagher Timeline and Summary
- Holden hears that Jane's going on a date with Stradlater. Holden remembers that she used to keep her kings in the back row all the time when they played checkers, and that she used to be a dancer before she got nervous that her legs would get too thick.
- When Stradlater comes back from his date, he refuses to tell Holden whether or not he "gave her the time" in the car.
- From what Holden says about Jane, we can be pretty confident that no time was given.
- When Holden gets off the train, he thinks about calling Jane.
- Before he calls Faith Cavendish, Holden again thinks about calling Jane.
- Later that night, Holden sits in a lobby and reminisces about Jane.
- We find out that he and Jane shared a close friendship; it looks like it wasn't a sexual relationship, but they obviously cared about each other a lot.
- Jane, Holden says, is the only person he's ever shown Allie's baseball mitt.
- Holden tells us about one particular incident when he was playing checkers with Jane. Her stepfather came out asking if there were any cigarettes, and Jane refused to answer or look him in the face.
- After her stepfather left, Jane started crying. Holden, trying to comfort her, kissed her everywhere on her face but her mouth, he says.
- Jane claimed the stepfather had never tried anything with her, but Holden (and the reader) isn't sure whether or not this is true.
- Then the two went to a movie, where Jane did something that "just about killed" Holden; she put her hand on the back of his neck while they were sitting in the theater.
- After the Maurice and Sunny incident, Jane is part of Holden's "bullet in the guts" fantasy.
- Before he meets the nuns, Holden thinks about calling Jane.
- After he buys the Little Shirley Beans record, Holden thinks about calling Jane.
- After Holden has a bit of a blow-out with Sally Hayes, he thinks about Jane some more. He remembers this jerk that she was on a date with once. He was the kind of guy who was always trying to show off his muscles, but Jane said he just had an inferiority complex.
- Holden actually does try calling Jane, but he hangs up when nobody answers.
- Holden once again contemplates giving Jane a call while he's waiting to meet Phoebe and return her money.