by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire Chapter 14 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Katniss stares out the window as the train speeds them toward the Capitol. She didn't get to say goodbye to anyone.
- Peeta tries to console her. It doesn't really work, but Katniss puts her game face on and focuses on her mission, which is to get Peeta through the Games.
- That night she has dinner with Peeta, Effie, and Haymitch.
- Afterward they find out who else got picked for the Games.
- Katniss has a hard time keeping track. Their competition includes some guys named Brutus and Finnick, and Chaff, and women named Cecilia and Johanna. Katniss knows a little about them, but not much.
- Katniss goes to bed, only to suffer through more awful nightmares.
- She gets up in the middle of the night and finds Peeta watching old Games again. They hug.
- A train worker brings them a snack, and Katniss and Peeta guess that the people of Panem may not be too pleased about their beloved victors having to take another stab at the Games. After all, the victors are the districts' local celebs, and are supposed to be excused from all other Games.
- They decide to keep reviewing tapes and watch the one with Haymitch, which they haven't seen before. It's the last Quell, so there were twice as many tributes as usual.
- The tape reveals the whole process, starting with the reapings. They pay attention to the reaping in 12, when Katniss' mother's friend, Maysilee, was called in.
- Katniss realizes that Maysilee was the aunt of her friend Madge. So Katniss' mockingjay pin actually belonged to Maysilee. This seems important.
- They watch an interview with Haymitch and Caesar Flickerman, then see the tributes being directed into the arena.
- The arena is beautiful and lethal. Haymitch gets supplies right away, and the fighting begins.
- The tributes drop like flies.
- Meanwhile, Maysilee is hanging in there and she and Haymitch temporarily become allies.
- Then she decides to go out on her own. Haymitch discovers that the arena doesn't just end, but has some kind of force field around it that sends whatever's thrown at it straight back.
- Maysilee dies, as do some others, until it's down to Haymitch and one other person.
- The other girl's beating Haymitch, but he outsmarts her. The girl throws her weapon at Haymitch and it disappears, only to hit the force field and rebound upon her. Haymitch wins.
- After they're done watching, Katniss and Peeta think about Haymitch's strategy.
- Haymitch comes in. Katniss thinks Haymitch is like her – they both outsmarted the Capitol and it saved their lives. She thinks they can work together.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...