Catching Fire Chapter 22 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Peeta attacks the mutt with his knife, but the damage has already been done. The other monkey mutts disperse, and Peeta stays with the tribute who saved him.
- Finnick goes on patrol, while Katniss holds the morphling addict's hand.
- Peeta talks to her soothingly about the different colors he uses when he paints. This seems to comfort her and ease the dying woman's pain.
- The tribute uses her own blood to paint a small flower on Peeta's face, then she dies.
- Katniss bathes.
- The poison gas has left them covered in scabs, and they aren't sure what to do about it.
- Finnick is sad about Mags' death, so he says he'll stand guard while the other two rest.
- The next day, Finnick has gathered some fish for them for breakfast.
- Katniss is all itchy and scratchy. She wishes she had some salve, and her wish is granted, as if by magic. It's green and smelly, but it works. She and Finnick rub it all over themselves. They look pretty swamp monster-ish, and they decide to play a joke on Peeta by waking him up.
- Peeta is freaked out by the way they look, but they're all grateful for the little break.
- Katniss thinks more and more highly of Finnick.
- Another parachute arrives with some bread.
- For a moment, they have a reprieve: good snacks, medicine, and a moment of peace. Katniss takes stock. The Quell's only been going for a day, and already so many of the tributes have died. What's next?
- Katniss doesn't want to go back into the forest, but she's not sure what they should do. Where in the arena can they be safe?
- Off in the distance, they see a huge wave come crashing into the water near the Cornucopia. They are soaked.
- They hear the cannon signaling that another tribute has died.
- Suddenly, they're no longer alone. There are three other people on the beach too.
- The allies hide and try to figure out what's going on.
- The people, who are all red, are acting weird. One of them seems to be guiding the others.
- Finnick is excited to realize that one of them is Johanna. It seems Finnick and Johanna have an alliance agreement, which Katniss didn't know about. She's kind of annoyed.
- The groups converge. Johanna is with Beetee and Wiress, which Katniss and Peeta think is super weird.
- Johanna explains that they got caught in a flood of rain, and that her friend Blight has died.
- Wiress seems to have totally lost it. She keeps saying "tick tock" over and over again. No one knows what it means.
- Johanna and Katniss have a little spat, and Finnick has to step in to cool Johanna down (literally, by dumping her into the water).
- Johanna had said that she'd brought Beetee and Wiress for Katniss on purpose.
- Peeta and Katniss don't understand, so they turn their attention to trying to save Beetee's life. He's is in a bad way because he was stabbed in the back.
- Katniss has the idea of using some moss to pack Beetee's wound. There's not a lot else they can do. She makes sure to save the strange metal object Beetee took from the Cornucopia, although she doesn't know what it is.
- Then Katniss tries to help Wiress, who is still "tick-tocking."
- The group comes back together for a final debrief before they go to bed. Katniss and Johanna take guard together.
- Johanna explains that Haymitch instructed her to save Wiress and Beetee for Katniss, so they could all be allies.
- Katniss is bewildered by this but plays it cool.
- Wiress approaches, still tick-tocking, and Johanna leaves, annoyed.
- Katniss watches the night pass and waits for the day. She considers the arena and has a realization: every twelve hours, the same events start to occur again in a cycle. There are different portions of the arena that are dangerous, and they are activated at different times. Wiress isn't crazy; she understands how the arena is designed. She keeps saying "tick tock" because the arena itself is like a clock.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...