Catching Fire Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Haymitch tries to console Katniss, then they retreat to their rooms.
- Katniss thinks about what Haymitch said and how she has to really, really act like she's in love with Peeta – forever.
- She thinks ahead to a life with Peeta and worries that any children they have would end up in the arena too.
- She feels trapped and spends the night trying to strategize about any possible way to get out.
- Then she has to go to breakfast before they make their initial appearance in District 11. Katniss and Effie are the only ones at breakfast. It's all just feeling forced and depressing.
- Then the prep team works on Katniss some more.
- Everyone gathers for lunch, but Katniss isn't hungry. They make an unscheduled stop and Katniss snaps at Effie, who's getting on her nerves.
- She goes outside for a break and Peeta comes to join her. They apologize to one another and start trying to get to know each other again. Katniss doesn't mention her worries about Snow.
- Then Peeta shows her the paintings he's been working on, which depict the truth of what happened during the Games. Katniss can barely look at them, but Peeta says he has to make them because he can't stop thinking about what happened.
- They arrive in District 11. It seems more fertile than 12, but also more closed off. It seems way bigger than 12, too.
- Peeta and Katniss have to get ready for their event. After they're dressed, Effie tells them the plan for the day: they will give speeches at the Justice Building.
- Soon their convoy arrives, and Peeta and Katniss are taken out in front of a large crowd, along with the district's mayor.
- People clap for them and Katniss gets ready to do some acting. It's harder than she thought to see the families of Thresh and Rue, District 11 tributes who died in the arena. Peeta helps her get through the speeches they are required to make.
- Then Peeta shocks everyone by saying he and Katniss owe the District 11 tributes so much that they will donate some of their arena winnings to Thresh and Rue's families every year, forever.
- Katniss is so impressed that she kisses Peeta.
- They are given flowers and a plaque. The ceremony's almost over, but then Katniss locks eyes with one of Rue's sisters and realizes she still has to do something to show her regret for Rue's death.
- She speaks impulsively and gives her thanks to both Thresh and Rue. She says she sees Rue all around her in the world.
- An old man whistles the special sign – the mockingjay theme Rue sang in the arena – and then the entire crowd salutes Katniss.
- Katniss thinks she should feel overcome with sadness, but instead she's afraid. This looks like she's inciting rebellion again, but that's not what she meant to do.
- She tries to undo what just happened, but she doesn't know how. She and Peeta are rushed offstage. They pause because they left the flowers behind. But then they see something they weren't supposed to: the man who whistled is executed on the spot.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search