by Raymond Carver
The Narrator Timeline and Summary
- The narrator isn't happy about Robert coming to visit.
- He makes blind jokes to his wife while she's cooking.
- She gets mad and tells him that if he loves her, he'll be nice to Robert.
- The narrator has a drink and listens to his wife talk about Robert.
- Then he waits for his wife to come back from the train station with Robert.
- He gets drinks for everyone, and listens while his wife and Robert talk.
- They all have dinner, and more drinks, then back to the living room.
- When his wife goes upstairs to change, he rolls marijuana cigarettes and begins smoking them with Robert.
- After his wife falls asleep on the couch, he and Robert listen to/watch TV.
- The narrator tries to describe a cathedral to Robert using words, but fails.
- Robert suggests they draw one together and they do.
- Halfway through the drawing Robert tells the narrator to close his eyes.
- He completes the drawing with his eyes closed.
- When Robert tells him to open his eyes, he doesn't.