by Kurt Vonnegut
Cat's Cradle Chapter 10 Summary
Secret Agent X-9
- With the appointment scheduled for tomorrow, John has a night to kill in Ilium.
- He heads to the Cape Cod Room, the social hub of Ilium and the hangout for the local whores.
- He chats up a whore named Sandra. They talk about everything from Dr. Breed to the Pope to phonies to gangsters.
- They also get drunk.
- The bartender mentions Sandra was on the class colors committee in high school. (We're thinking that's like "Prom Theme Committee.")
- Then it's onto the subject of Frank Hoenikker.
- Turns out, the kid had a nickname in high school: Secret Agent X-9.
- Why that nickname? Because he was always acting like he was heading to a secret place and never talked to anybody.
- John suggests that maybe Frank did have a secret life, but both Sandra and the bartender agree that John is wrong there.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...