by Kurt Vonnegut
Cat's Cradle Chapter 31 Summary
- Worried about his own mother's tombstone, the taxi driver asks if they could take a detour. John agrees, but he's not happy about it.
- They take a second detour to the tombstone salesroom across the street.
- It's called Avram Breed and Sons.
- While wandering around the memorials, John spies an angel dressed in mistletoe, cedar boughs, and Christmas tree lamps. He asks how much.
- The salesman informs him it's not for sale on account that its one hundred years old. The salesman, it turns out, is Marvin Breed, brother of Dr. Asa Breed.
- John comments that it's a small world. Marvin says it is "[w]hen you put it in a cemetery" (31.16).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...