Cite This Page
Cat's Cradle Chapter 45 Summary Page 1
Why Americans are Hated
- Turns out, yes. See, Claire published her letter during the worst of McCarthyism, a period of American history that was like a witch-hunt for anyone seen as anti-American.
- John asks what was wrong with the letter, and Minton says it was seen as the highest form of treason. Why?
- Because Claire said that "Americans aren't loved wherever they go" (45.3)
- But Claire's argument wasn't really that Americans were hated in a lot of places, but that people in general are.
- Americans just shouldn't feel exempt from this fact, and the country's foreign policy should recognize this.
- John says he's glad everything turned out all right, since Minton is now ambassador to San Lorenzo.
- The Mintons look at each other and agree it's the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" (45.9). Huh, somehow we doubt they were very sincere there.