Cat's Cradle Chapter 45 Summary
Why Americans are Hated
- Turns out, yes. See, Claire published her letter during the worst of McCarthyism, a period of American history that was like a witch-hunt for anyone seen as anti-American.
- John asks what was wrong with the letter, and Minton says it was seen as the highest form of treason. Why?
- Because Claire said that "Americans aren't loved wherever they go" (45.3)
- But Claire's argument wasn't really that Americans were hated in a lot of places, but that people in general are.
- Americans just shouldn't feel exempt from this fact, and the country's foreign policy should recognize this.
- John says he's glad everything turned out all right, since Minton is now ambassador to San Lorenzo.
- The Mintons look at each other and agree it's the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" (45.9). Huh, somehow we doubt they were very sincere there.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...