Cat's Cradle Chapter 65 Summary
A Good Time to Come to San Lorenzo
- "Papa" welcomes them to his island, "the best friend America ever had" (65.4). Unfortunately, he mistakes Crosby for the ambassador.
- Crosby corrects him. Before "Papa" can fix his faux pas, he has a coughing fit.
- He gathers himself and returns to the greetings. He informs Minton that San Lorenzo is everything America could want—i.e. Christian with no Communists.
- It's also a good time for a visit because tomorrow will be the Day of the Hundred Martyrs to Democracy.
- Sounds like a bang-up holiday that one.
- It's Minton's turn to lie. He tells "Papa" that the President has personally asked him to be at the ceremony and to cast a wreath for the fallen soldiers of democracy into the sea.
- Then there's talk of "The honor is mine," and "No, it's mine." Blah, blah.
- "Papa" has another coughing fit, this one worse than the last as it doesn't cease. He manages to gather enough strength to usher his people home before collapsing.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search