Cite This Page
Cat's Cradle Chapter 80 Summary Page 1
The Waterfall Strainers
- After that pleasant tale, it's cocktail time. Drinks all around.
- Angela turns into a bitter drunk. She complains that her father gave the world so much and it gave him so little. He only got a Nobel Peace Prize and twenty-eight large a year.
- That's actually pretty good by 1960s standards. John tries to point this out, but Angela just lists the people who made more, such as movie stars and Dr. Breed.
- Realizing that it's a lost cause, John asks Julian what he thinks happened to Newt's painting.
- Julian guesses it and his cigar butt probably wound up in some islander's net and is being dried in the sun. It will be a pretty good catch for someone living on this poor island.
- Angela keeps complaining, remaining oblivious to the irony. Newt suggests she go get her clarinet. After some coaxing from Julian, she agrees.
- Newt apologizes after she goes to fetch her instrument. He notes how her husband only ever returns home once he's drunk and covered in lipstick.
- John says he thought their marriage was a happy one. Newt only replies, "See the cat? See the cradle?" (80.32).