by Kurt Vonnegut
Cat's Cradle Chapter 94 Summary
The Highest Mountain
- The next day, Frank and John drive to "Papa's" castle to get his blessing.
- They drive over the mountains, and in the sunrise, John sees Mount McCabe. It reminds him of a whale with a harpoon in its back.
- Hey, didn't this story start with a reference to Moby-Dick? Wonder if there's a connection there?
- Frank tells John that no man has ever climbed to the top of Mount McCabe.
- It doesn't look like a very hard climb, so John asks why no one has been up. Is it sacred to Bokononists?
- The answer is simply that nobody's felt like it.
- This leads John to another question: what is sacred to Bokononists?
- This answer is even simpler: only people.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...