by Kurt Vonnegut
Cat's Cradle Chapter 96 Summary
Bell, Book, and Chicken in a Hatbox
- Dr. Koenigswald is seeing his patient, so Frank and John don't get in right away.
- They wait in the anteroom. Due to some oddly placed iron rings, John asks if the room had once been a torture chamber.
- In fact, it had, and there's even an oubliette beneath them.
- If there's also a secret passage behind the bookcase in the library, consider us sold.
- In the waiting room with them is San Lorenzo's Christian minister, Dr. Vox Humana.
- Since both Catholicism and Protestantism are outlawed on San Lorenzo, Dr. Vox Humana has to create his own denomination of Christianity.
- Hence the reason he has a bell, chicken, Bible, and butcher knife with him.
- Dr. Koenigswald exits the room. Frank promises not to tire "Papa" out, but the doctor says the old dictator might be grateful if they just killed him.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...