The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
Cite This Page
The Stranger Timeline and Summary
- The stranger asks Smiley what he keeps in that box. Smiley tells him it’s a frog.
- The stranger asks what the frog is good for, Smiley replies that it can outjump any frog in Calaveras County.
- The stranger says this frog doesn’t look any better than another frog, and that he’d accept Smiley's bet if he had a frog. So Smiley goes off and gets him a frog, leaving Dan’l with the stranger.
- The stranger looks at Dan’l Webster for a minute, then fills him up with quail shot.
- Smiley and the stranger set the frogs beside each other and heave them off, but Dan’l Webster goes nowhere.
- The stranger collects his forty bucks from Smiley. As he leaves, he says he still doesn’t see anything special about Dan’l Webster.