Test Your Knowledge
Cell's Life Questions
- A cell has one chromosome going into S phase. How many chromosomes does it have in G1? In G2?
- Cytokinesis refers to which division, nuclear or cytoplasmic?
- What stages of the cell cycle can be grouped together under the common heading interphase?
- Besides the growth and replication of organelles, what other important events occur during the gap phases?
Cell's Life Answers
- It has 1 chromosome in G1, and 1 in G2, but that chromosome now has 2 chromatids, so double the amount of DNA.
- Cytoplasmic, the physical separation into two identical daughter cells.
- G1, S, and G2.
- The sensing of the cell's environment to decide whether it is a good time to divide.
Mitosis vs. Meiosis Questions
- A diploid cell with 12 chromosomes (6 homologous chromosome pairs) goes through meiosis. How many chromosomes will each daughter cell have when meiosis is completed?
- You found a cool plant species that you know has 10 unique kinds of chromosome, but the one you have found has 2 copies of each chromosome present in G2 phase. Is this example of the organism haploid or diploid?
- Which division process is important for the creation of eggs and sperm?
Mitosis vs. Meiosis Answers
- 6. But, even though the total number of chromosomes is reduced by half, the number of types of chromosomes is the same.
- Be careful not to get chromosome and chromatid mixed up here. The organism is diploid. If n = 10 (the number of unique chromosomes the species has), then if there are 2 copies of each, you have 2 × n (the diploid number). A haploid organism would have only one copy of each chromosome (or n).
Cell Division Questions
- Which stage of the cell cycle in meiosis is the most different from mitosis?
- Which overall part of meiosis is most like mitosis?
- Do homologous chromosomes pair during mitosis?
Cell Division Answers
- Prophase I
- Meiosis II; it is when the sister chromatids separate and the homologous chromosomes are no longer present so they cannot align.
- No, during meiosis I.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...