Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chapter 17 Summary
Augustus Gloop Goes up the Pipe
- Willy Wonka sees what Augustus is up to and begs him to stop: it's not good for the chocolate to be dirtied by human hands.
- But Augustus has bigger problems. Before he knows it, he falls right into the chocolate river.
- Mr. and Mrs. Gloop are not too happy, but in all the confusion, Augustus is sucked right into one of the glass pipes. More not-being-happy and more confusion ensue. And after briefly getting stuck (he's a bit chunky, remember) he disappears up the pipe.
- This is when we start to realize that Willy Wonka is in his own little world. While Mr. and Mrs. Gloop panic about their son, all Mr. Wonka can do is talk about how his factory and sweets will (or hopefully will not) be affected by the whole ordeal. It's a pretty hilarious interaction and we'd suggest you go ahead and take a look (17.30-50).
- Finally, Mr. Wonka calls over an Oompa-Loompa and asks him to bring Mrs. Gloop to the fudge room, where she should find her son. The Oompa-Loompa thinks this is pretty comical.
- As they walk off, the rest of the Oompa-Loompas start to sing. They are creative little buggers and once again, we think you should check out their song (17.64). Well worth it – and it rhymes!