Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Cite This Page
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chapter 18 Summary Page 1
Down the Chocolate River
- Next thing they know, a bright pink boat being rowed by laughing Oompa-Loompas comes down the river and they all hop on.
- Right away, everyone starts causing trouble: Mike Teavee is licking the boat, Veruca is demanding a pink boat of her own. Charlie, on the other hand, just marvels at everything.
- Willy Wonka can tell Charlie is enjoying himself and so he dips a mug into the river and gives it to Charlie and Grandpa Joe to drink. Yum. Think really thick hot chocolate.
- Suddenly, the boat enters a pitch-black tunnel and everyone screams. Willy, apparently taking after his Oompa-Loompa, starts singing a rather creepy song himself.
- All of the parents except Grandpa Joe think that Mr. Wonka is nuts. Flat out crazy. And they're pretty vocal about it.
- When the lights are switched back on, they can see the signs on the doors inside the tunnel. They're all pretty punny (that's funny, but with a pun), including things like "STOREROOM NUMBER 77, ALL THE BEANS – CACAO BEANS, COFFEE BEANS, JELLY BEANS, AND HAS BEANS" (18.46).
- Mr. Wonka doesn't pass up the opportunity to take a low blow at Violet after she talks back to him.