Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Cite This Page
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chapter 28 Summary Page 1
Only Charlie Left
- After Mike Teavee's incident, Charlie is the only child left, and when Mr. Wonka realizes this – well, he probably knows already, but when he admits to realizing this – he tells Charlie he's won. Won what?
- Mr. Wonka starts off on another of his chatty rants, talking about all the things that need to get done and the arrangements that need to be made and... what is he talking about?
- Charlie can tell that something crazy is about to happen, but he's just thrilled, as is Grandpa Joe.
- Suddenly, they are back on the elevator and Mr. Wonka is pressing the button labeled "UP AND OUT" (28.10). It shoots straight up in the air.
- Willy Wonka admits that he's never had the chance to press this button until now, because he hadn't wanted to break a big hole in the roof of the factory. Uh oh. You can guess what that means.
- Sure enough, the elevator crashes through the ceiling – yikes. But then it just stops, floating in mid-air, towering over the entire town. It is powered by sugar power. (We wonder what the ratio is of sugar power to horsepower, but it must be high for that thing to hover.)
- And from the sky, they can see all the other children returning home.